Friday, January 2, 2009

Our Anniversary

Today is Daniel and I's 6 year anniversary. We were excited to get to go out to dinner last night and celebrate! Today we are going to be spending it putting new shelves in our pantry, not so glamorous as what we were getting ready for 6 years ago from this day. I enjoyed every part of getting married; the planning, getting ready the day of, the ceremony, the reception and our beautiful honeymoon.

The proposal was sweet. Daniel and I had a nice evening out and we were already back to my parents house. I was thinking daniel was going to propose for about a month so I was dressing nice at dates and always had in the back of my mind, maybe tonight he will ask. Well, by the time we had gotten back to my house i figured the opportunity had passed so I told him I was going to change into something more comfortable, a tshirt and and some pj pants. Looking back he did try to convince me otherwise but I 'knew' we were going to watch some tv and he would be leaving soon. So I flopped back on the couch to snuggle with my guy for just a little longer before he would go back home.

Well, as usual we were ending our time that night with a couples devotion. Daniel had bought us a devotion book when we had been together 3 months. This book was such an important part of our dating life. There was a time during one of our previous devotions that Daniel and I both let each other know that we believed each other to be the ones that we would marry one day. This was such a great opportunity for us as a couple to discuss what we thought was important for our relationship and future life together as husband/wife and mom/dad! On top of the blessing of the devotion on our relationship this was such a sweet time for me to hear daniel talk to God and for him the same from me. At the end of the devotion we would both pray to God and our love just grew!

That evening, January 19th 2002 we ended our devotion and Daniel was going to pray but before he did he asked me if I knew what was important about that day. I really hadn't a clue and guessed random silly things. So, smiling he finally told me that this was the day that he got saved many years ago. He then continued to say that he couldn't think of a better way to celebrate this day then by asking me to be his wife! He got on one knee and pulled the ring out of his pocket and proposed! Me in my pjs and him dressed so cute in his khakis and collared shirt. I said yes, we prayed and then told my parents.

My mom and I had such a great time getting things ready for daniel and i's big day! Finding the dress was a little work, I tried all the bridal stores in town, savannah and orlando but really never found the 'perfect' dress. I would like a part of a dress but not the whole package. Finally someone at church told us about a consignment store in town that has a big stock of bridal gowns so we headed over there. Lo and behold, I found my dress there. I could not have been happier. I wanted a long train and this one was probably longer than I ever thought they made them :P The whole train was detailed and shaped beautifully. The top was very detailed also with a sweet neckline. The only thing I thought we would change was the sleeves, my dress had short sleeves and I really wanted capped sleeves but through all the work of getting things ready I never got around to altering the sleeves but it was still beautiful.

In the months leading up to the ceremony my mom and I made all the decorations ourselves. We bought silk flowers and made topiaries and arrangements for all the pieces on stage. This was such a fun thing for us to do together. The topiaries were my favorite and serve as decorations in our houses today! We were also thankful to see that these decorations were used for 3 other friends and families wedding ceremonies held at our church. I was able to have real flowers for all the bouquets and boutonnieres but figured if it wasn't going to be held or close to anybody, what was the point of paying for real ones!

Daniel and I had the best time in our nearly wed class at church. We enjoyed the lessons every week that taught us about our future relationship as husband and wife. The class was led by godly couples and we drew so much just from their personal testimonies. Our counseling was also a neat time of getting to know each other deeper.

Our rehearsal dinner was such an exiting time; anticipating our wedding day and getting a taste of how it would go. The dinner was held at The Haskell Company on riverside. Daniel's Family and Friends from his old church did such a beautiful job getting the place ready for that night.

Finally, the day of the wedding, i spent most of my time getting ready at home. My dad drove me to the church with wedding dress in tow. I finished getting ready at church and had fun spending time with my bridesmaids and family. I can't say that my ceremony was a blur. I was so excited about seeing all or our planning come together and took time to focus on things.

Our parents came down to, "We'll build a household of faith" sang by the minister of music and his wife from Buford Grove. My bridal party and myself came down to an instrumental arrangement my orchestra director, Edson Dickinson did of "How Beautiful" I am still so thankful for Mr. Dickinson and all the musicians that came together to play this on my wedding day! I will always remember the Thursday night I was at orchestra practice and we practiced "How Beautiful" for a church special. I leaned over to my friend Jody and Breana and told them "I want to walk down the aisle to that!" My mom was skeptical of doing something 'different' but I knew it could be pulled together. I knew i couldn't get the whole orchestra to play the day of my wedding but I began to listen to the main instruments and still can't believe that Mr Dickinson was able to arrange it for an ensemble; violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet and trumpet. This was truly one of my best wedding gifts.

During the prayer Daniel prayed while Chip Dorton sang the Lord's prayer with Chuck Anno on Organ. Chip Dorton was one of the most spirited, sweet and talented vocalist our church has ever had. I was truly blessed to have him sing at my wedding. He was ill with cancer and past away later that year. His presence and voice will never be forgotten by those that heard him sing or knew him personally!

After the prayer, Daniel and I went to light our unity candle and visit with our families. During this time we had our friends, Travis, Garret and Damien sing "Shine On Us" by Phillips, Craig and Dean. This had been a song we listened to during our dating time that we felt was a great prayer for our relationship.

Finally we were pronounced man and wife and we headed to our reception to spend time with all the sweet guest that came to celebrate this special day in our life. I was so thankful for all that came to support us and was blessed by their well wishes!


I couldn't be more thankful for Daniel and the family God has blessed us with.




Six Years Later


10 comments:

Jenn said...

Congratulations on six amazing years! You have a beautiful marriage and family to go along with it.

Tiffany said...

Congrats! I enjoyed reading your story. We had "Shine On Us" sung at our wedding too. Blessings to you and your family!

Dana said...

Happy 6 years -- I think we married couples have so much to be thankful for and PROUD of this day in age :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful love story! Congratulations on 6 years. How Beautiful was sung at our wedding during the Unity Candle.

Just the 5 of us said...

So sweet! your dress was gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
I remember running into you at the consignment store when you found your dress. I was hoping to find mine there too. lol

Lyndsay Almeida said...

sorry i'm late...but i'm so happy for/proud of you and daniel! i enjoyed your sweet story. :)

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary! Your little ones are not so little anymore. Your family is just as beautiful as ever, though!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I left you an award on my last post, so go check it out!

The Reinolds said...

I gave you an award, check out my blog!