Thursday, November 13, 2008

my model children

Some days my kids completely impress me with how well they behave in certain situations. In those moments I catch myself thinking, Wow; all my hard work is paying off, i have the model children!!!!

MY MODEL CHILDREN: At a family reunion daniel I made the plates for the kids; all the right foods we think they should eat (not just mac n cheese). We sat down with them and told them they had to eat all their food before they could head over to the yummy dessert table. After we got them started on their food daniel and I went and got our plates one at a time. The kids sat on their bottoms the whole time and ate without any melt downs about what was on their plates and the fact that they could smell the Desserts! They were done before Daniel and I so we told them that we would get dessert when we were done too. They sat there and had pleasant conversations with us until we were done. When we made it to the dessert table we told them they could pick two things and asked them not to touch every dessert on the table. They obeyed and sat back down and ate their 'reward'. We had so many people compliment us on how well our kids behaved at the family reunion. And yes, in that moment I acted like they were always that way.

NO, NOT MY CHILDREN (i think this is going to be the home of the "No, Not My Child" like McMama's Not Me! Mondays)

Last night at church we had a missionfest. Daniel wasn't there so I was a little outnumbered. The missionfest was so neat. Each missionary/mission had a booth and you could go from booth to booth visiting with the missionaries and their families. The booths were all decorated with the missionaries' country as the theme.

Well, Kaylee found a tablet a missionary had put out for starting a prayer group. I decided it would be sweet for me to help Kaylee write her name and then I put my email on it. That wasn't enough for Kaylee, she wanted to draw flowers and Kitties and hold up the line waiting to visit the booth. So my sweet moment quickly snowballed into a melt down. I tried whispering and pulling her away but she was dragging the pad saying all she wanted to color on it. I tried to reason with her and tell her their were nice people waiting to write their names on it too. She ended up kicking and screaming like I have never heard her scream; it was a mad scream and it was loud. She clinched her fist and put them straight at her side and let the screams come! Even the missionary that was talking to another member turned around and gave us a look (i know he didn't mean to) But his look said oh my goodness this mother has no control of her spoiled child. **ok i didn't at that time** I quickly picked up kaylee up and went outside to get "down to her level" and tell her that is not how we act blah blah blah.

Along with the decorated booths some missionaries had food from their country. Nathan asked for the food at the booths to no avail. I knew by looking at some of it he wouldn't like it so I told him let's just look at the booths. Well, enough buggin me and we came to a booth with food that didn't look to out there (white rice with something) so I said he could try some. Right in front of the booth and missionary nathan made the most awful face and SPIT the food out in every direction. The food being RICE it was not fun picking up but I made nathan pick up as much as we saw. I was so embarrassed! I took him outside and told him that we don't spit food out like that.

To state the obvious, it was TIME for us to GO! When I got home I told Daniel about it all and he of course had all the right solutions to each problem. I say that sarcastically but he his good handling the kids when it comes to making them behave; after all he was in the equation above; my model chidren!

2 comments:

Tami Muhlbauer said...

that's priceless....

Anonymous said...

it is just a daddy thing..you are not alone I have been there.