Sunday, November 2, 2008

spent two and half hours in a line.....

and there wasn't a roller coaster at the end!

Daniel watched the kids while I went to vote after church. This was the last day to early vote and the crowds turned up. Jacksonville has about 15 early voting spots and I went to the library closest to my house. I knew there would be a line but never imagined it would be that long. When I got there I looked at my watch and thought it may take an hour well; it took a little over 2 1/2 hours.

For the most part, everyone stayed in good spirits about the wait. I can't just stand there and keep to myself so of course I had a couple conversations with the people around me. The only lady that I could hear that wasn't in good spirits humored me with her constant nagging remarks....."Standing in line over 2 hours, I really worked hard to vote this year!" she would say something to the effect every couple minutes. I do realize the nagging women probably didn't realize how ungrateful her comments sounded to me and I don't doubt that she is happy to vote and that she realizes the sacrifices made so she could. I know I am just as guilty as the next about saying thoughtless comments like this just to talk but I really was annoyed by her comments.

I thought it nothing to stand in line to vote as long as I did. I wish it was like that for every election. AND don't get me starting on the "Sacrifice" of it all. Standing in line during a cool, breezy florida fall day; we really worked hard to vote this election!

I just thought about how blessed we are to have the right to vote for the candidates and causes we all are passionate about. Many countries don't give their citizens any say in how things are ran. Then to think of all the men and women that served for our countries freedoms; how could I begin to complain about my two and half hour wait to vote!

1 comments:

katrina said...

you speak lovely truths - AMEN to that!
i will be standing in those lines come tuesday and i can't wait!